This past Saturday, I was able to spend the day with Tory Johnson, ABC Good Morning America workplace contributor and female entrepreneur extraordinaire, and the amazing women (and men!) of the Boston Spark & Hustle conference. As the Q&A Keynote on Saturday morning, I was able to share some of my experience as the founder of Styleta and Gym-Pact. I was pretty nervous the night before, since it was my first time being a conference keynote, but Tory was amazing at guiding me with the questions. The audience questions were also fun to answer and gave me some great ideas for both startups!
From Dan Schawbel, personal branding guru:
- Update those online profiles – yes I mean Facebook too! I’ve seen plenty of FB profiles of recent grads that still seem to say they are students. For me, I definitely need to do some work on my FB and LinkedIn.
- Leverage small successes to get bigger ones, especially in media features. Got covered or wrote for a local newspaper? Put it in your bio and keep adding to it. I’m going to update by bio to include media mentions!
- What to read: Mashable and ReadWriteWeb
- Have 3 soundbites rehearsed that you must share with reporter no matter what questions they ask. Good advice that I wish I had heard before my interviews!
- PitchEngine – social press releases
- Always say thank you to the reporter, and offer additional content to build the relationship
- People have different preferred communication methods – if they’re not responding to emails or calls, try Twitter, FB or texting.
- Break that mental barrier between personal and business contacts, and don’t be afraid of telling people what you do for a living!
- Become an expert, the go-to person on a specific topic
- Listen for people’s needs and give before you get